Elderly Residents Targeted in 2 Ruse Burglaries
Cash and checks were taken during one of the incidents, while police said nothing went missing in the other.
Burglars targeted elderly people in two ruses that happened last week in Burr Ridge, police said.
Both burglaries happened in an area south of 55th Street, west of Interstate 294, north of Plainfield Road and east of County Line Road.
A man in his 30s entered the first home around 4 p.m. Wednesday under the pretense of checking the property line, police said. The man told the resident that he was dealing with a flood at the home next door. He took several phone calls and spoke “in a different language” while inside the home.
The suspect asked the resident to run the water and come outside with him, police said. He told her he would return the next day with equipment to fix a cracked pipe.
Nothing was taken during the incident.
Another ruse burglary was reported around 1:40 p.m. Saturday, police said. A large, heavy-set Hispanic man in his 40s with short dark hair, unshaven and wearing dark sunglasses and a dark light-weight jacket told the resident that he bought something from a neighbor and needed to get in touch with him, police said. A two-way radio on the suspect continually beeped throughout the incident, police said.
The suspect directed the resident to look out a window at the roof of a neighboring house, police said. While the resident was distracted, the suspect took cash and a personal check.
When the resident told the suspect to leave, police said he got into a light blue or grey minivan that was parked in the driveway and pulled out at a high speed.
Police ask residents to report any suspicious vehicles or people to 911. Don’t let people you don’t know into your house without verifying their identity.
There are plenty of ways to keep up on Burr Ridge news:
See past Burr Ridge blotters:
- One of 23 Guns Stolen During Burglary Found in Burr Ridge Home: Police
- Underage Party Busted, Restaurant Employee Fights Coworker: Police Blotter
- Vulgar Phone Call, DUI, Criminal Damage: Police Blotter
- $1,500 in Parts Removed from 2 Cars: Police Blotter
- Items Stolen During Burr Ridge Burglary Found in Chicago: Police Blotter
- Warrant Arrest, Suspended License, No License: Police Blotter
- Fight at Sushi Joint, Car Burglar Caught in the Act: Police Blotter
- Arrest on Battery Warrant, 6 Charged with License Violations: Police Blotter